Do Your Part!
If you’re wondering why we’re including a brief item about recycling in a book like Here Comes The Guide, it’s because parties and special events often generate recyclable materials and leftover food that the newlyweds don’t want to take home. Nowadays, you and the caterer can feel good by donating the excess, and recycling plastic bottles, glass, metal and paper. An added benefit is that food donations are tax deductible for either you or the caterer. And if you recycle, the cost for extra garbage containers (bins) can be eliminated or reduced. To recycle, call your local recycling center to arrange a pickup.
IMPORTANT: There are regulations that apply to the kinds of foods that can be donated and how they need to be packaged. If you plan to donate your leftovers, it’s best to talk to your caterer about it or call your local food bank prior to your event to find out what their requirements for preparation and drop-off are.
We’ve provided a list of some well-known Northern California food banks, but you can also look online to find others that may be more convenient for you.
For more valuable tips about going green, read our article “It’s A Nice Day for a Green Wedding.” You’ll find it in the “Green Weddings” category on our Wedding Checklist!
Northern California Donation Organizations
- Food Runners—San Francisco, 415/929-1866
- Food Bank—Marin County, 415/282-1900
- Second Harvest—San Mateo/Santa Clara Counties, 650/610-0800
- Food Bank of Contra Costa & Solano—Concord, 925/676-7543
- Alameda County—Oakland, 510/635-3663
- Food Bank—Sacramento, 916/456-1980
- Loaves & Fishes—Sacramento, 916/446-0874
- Second Harvest—Santa Cruz Area, 831/722-7110
Southern California Donation Organizations
- Los Angeles Regional Food Bank—L.A. County, 323/234-3030
- Food Bank of Santa Barbara County—Santa Barbara, 805/967-5741
- Food Bank of Southern California—Long Beach, 562/435-3577
- Food Share, Inc.—Oxnard/Ventura, 805/983-7100
- Orange County Food Bank—Garden Grove, 714/897-6670
- San Diego Food Bank—San Diego, 866/350-3663
- Second Harvest Food Bank—Orange County, 949/653-2900