Dear Here Comes The Guide,
I just got engaged and I keep hearing about wedding dress trunk shows. What exactly is a "trunk show"? Is it worth going to one?
—Amanda, San Luis Obispo, CA
Amanda, looking for your dress is one of the most exciting parts of your wedding, and going to a trunk show can really ratchet up the excitement! According to bridal salon owner Lisa Litt of Lili Bridals in Tarzana, California, at a trunk show, "The designer or their representative brings his or her entire collection (yes, in trunks!), and provides personal consultations."
Most salons usually only carry a handful of designs by a specific designer; at a trunk show, you'll have a chance to browse all the looks of your favorite designer—sometimes even before they're available in the boutiques. What's more, at many trunk shows you'll work one-on-one with a fashion expert, either the designer's representative or the designer themselves. They'll personally assess your figure and wedding style and recommend the best gowns from their collection. As Lisa explains, "They may suggest custom changes, and offer special pricing and incentives on orders placed during the show!"
Trunk shows remind me of how European aristocrats used to shop—privately. A couturier would present the season's latest creations to the Duchess of this or the Countess of that, who would be advised on the most flattering ball gown. Think of a trunk show as your own princess moment.
Check out upcoming trunks shows at bridal salons near you on our Trunk Shows and Sample Sales calendar.
Trunk Show Tips:
- Begin by browsing designer websites to get a sense of which styles appeal to you and fall within your budget.
- Though trunk shows take place throughout the year, you'll have the widest selection of designers from January–March when these events are more numerous.
- Trunk shows are by appointment only and fill up fast. So don't wait to reserve your slot (and if you can't keep the appointment, please be courteous and call to cancel.)
- Bring one or two people with you whom you trust and who know you well. Resist the urge to have a larger entourage accompany you—too many opinions can get confusing.
- Be prepared to make a purchase in case you find "the dress" in order to take advantage of possible show discounts. But don't feel pressured to make a decision if you aren't 100% convinced.
- Dresses aren't the only fashion element in a trunk show. Wedding veils, head pieces, wedding jewelry, bridesmaid dresses and shoe designers have trunk shows, too!
- You can find trunk shows on our Trunk Shows and Sample Sales calendar, as well as by looking at a designer's website or contacting your local salons directly.
NYC Wedding Dress Trunk Shows at Designer Loft NYC
New York City bridal shop Designer Loft is known for their exceptional taste and service. European high style is the theme for these special events!
EDDY K Milano Collection 2017 Wedding Dresses Trunk Show | April 7–10, 14–16 — 2 Weekends!
Timeless Italian bridal gowns with fitted silhouettes, exquisite lace and beaded details and dramatic backs fulfill every bride's fantasy.
Pronovias 2017 Wedding Dresses Trunk Show | April 21–23 Fresh from Barcelona, the intricate lace and flattering fit of Pronovias wedding dresses makes them the ultimate in timeless glamour and elegance.
Rosa Clara TWO 2017 Wedding Dresses Trunk Show | April 28–May 1 These romantic gowns from Spain feature sparkly laces, accent bows and statement backs. Affordable luxury for every bride!
BONUS: These designers' bridal gowns will be 10% off during their trunk shows!
Space is limited, so please contact Designer Loft or book your appointment online.
226 West 37th Street, 2nd Floor • New York, NY • 212/944-9013 • www.DesignerLoftNYC.com
Quarterly Designer Wedding Dress Sample Sale by Beloved Couture Bridal!
Do you want an authentic designer bridal gown at 40–70% off the retail price, while also helping those in need? Then you must attend Beloved Couture Bridal’s Sample Sale!
When: The first Saturdays in February, May, August and November
Where: The Mitten Building | 345 North 5th Street | Redlands, CA 92374
Why: Profits will be donated to Southern CA families that are caring full time for loved ones with terminal cancer. Get your dream dress and do some good!!
No Appointments are necessary to attend the sale; however, registered brides will receive priority entry. To register to attend, please call 909/792-3191 or visit www.belovedcouturebridal.com